Welcome to Thorvald!

Sometimes, the process of making a stop motion animated film is a bit like being locked in a deadly struggle with a fearsome sea serpent, only to look into its face and recognize yourself. This blog is for anyone who has battled a 12-inch tall monster of their own and discovered a worthy adversary and a beautiful friendship.

Welcome to my lair. Visit my monsters and tell me about yours.

Click the "Subscribe To" or "Follow By Email" links below to become a follower and get regular updates.

Monday 31 January 2011

The Face of Thorvald

Now that I have a better idea of Thorvald's  personality and backstory, I can use the references I found at the British Museum, together with my own perception of what Thorvald looks like, to create his face. He wil have a body and clothing of course, but the head is the hardest part. It will be the most represantative feature of his body - the one people will look at most. The slightest change in proportion or shape can speak volumes about his character or his emotions, and can profoundly affect the way he will move and express himself. His body and clothing will be designed around his face. So no pressure!
I did a clay model to try to visualise my sketches in three dimensions. The final version will be done in two different materials to differentiate between the texture of his helmet and his skin.

 

1 comment: