Welcome to Thorvald!

Sometimes, the process of making a stop motion animated film is a bit like being locked in a deadly struggle with a fearsome sea serpent, only to look into its face and recognize yourself. This blog is for anyone who has battled a 12-inch tall monster of their own and discovered a worthy adversary and a beautiful friendship.

Welcome to my lair. Visit my monsters and tell me about yours.

Click the "Subscribe To" or "Follow By Email" links below to become a follower and get regular updates.

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Thorvald's References

The roots of Thorvald's story originate in Orcadian and Norse mythology, so it was essential for me to incorporate some Norse visual influences into the design of the film. I began of course, with Thorvald's signature helmet - the key to his image and style. I decided to visit the Norse galleries of the British Museum to look for inspiration. The helmets on display are reconstructions, but there are also some remains of the oiginals, and together they give a pretty good idea of what they had looked like. I was very taken with the bird-like faces and large expressive eye shapes that the helmets created. 



2 comments: